What is Proud to Care?
Gloucestershire is one of sixteen counties in the South West who have joined forces with Heath Education England for the Proud to Care South West campaign.
Proud to Care South West is a regional multi-media marketing and recruitment campaign which aims to raise the profile of care by promoting a positive image of the care sector and attracting high calibre applicants from different labour market groups. The regional campaign is set up to help to meet current and future workforce demands in the public, private, voluntary and independent sectors.
The key drivers of the campaign are:
- The Care Act 2014 places a duty on local authorities to ensure the sufficiency of adult social care markets. Failure to secure workforce sufficiency in the care sector is a major risk across the UK
- The need to promote a positive image of the sector and to attract different labour market groups.
- The need to develop skills and career pathways in care and health.
Proud to Care aims to appeal to, in particular, three identified groups of potential employees
- 16 – 25 year olds
- Parent returners who have had a career break
- People 55+ (perhaps looking for a second career that gives them real satisfaction)
The local Approach:
- Supplementing the regional campaign with a local micro-site Proud to Care Gloucestershire, linked to a jobs board for health and social care vacancies in the county.
- We are developing our local brand (‘Proud to Care Gloucestershire’) under the ‘One Gloucestershire’ umbrella as an inclusive Health and Social Care recruitment campaign.
- We plan on extending the campaign to develop a system wide integrated health & social care Recruitment & Retention strategy, working with employers, Skills for Care, Health Education England South West, job centre plus, schools, Further Education and Higher Education institutes and LEP to attract, retain and develop our workforce.
- Proud to Care Gloucestershire is adopting successful Skills for Care (and other) Recruitment & Retention initiatives such as Care Ambassadors, values based recruitment, work placements, taster days, secondments to help Health & Social care employers in the county recruit and retain high calibre staff.
- As a year one priority Proud to Care Gloucestershire's focus is on recruitment and retention of care and support workers in the domiciliary care / community care workforce.